tagline

life is beautiful

Friday, October 14, 2011

Healthy "Starbucks" Frappuccino

image from www.starbucks.com
I've been to Starbucks for a Frappuccino or five in my lifetime, and each time the yummy taste is offset by sadness as I sip and consider the fact that I'm consuming about 5 zillion calories AND the fact that I just paid wayyyyyy too much moolah for said calorific yumminess.  Plus, as I learned this week from "Chocolate Covered Katie," (and I looked it up here to verify) a Grande Coffee Frappuccino drink from Starbucks (that's the 16 oz medium size for those of you who, like me, can't remember your venti from your tall) has 49 grams of sugar. 
Now, this part is a little complicated, so if you just need a coffee drink, skip to the link below, but if you're interested: doctors recommend that the average healthy adult have a maximum 25% of their calories from sugar each day.  I personally feel that's high, but that's what they (and they) recommend. And they probably know a lot more than me.  ANYWAY, for someone who eats 2,000 calories a day (And how many calories a day should you eat to maintain, lose or gain weight?  Check this out.), that means you can have about 125 grams of sugar each day.  So this one drink has more than 1/3 of your daily sugar! And it's not so great in other ways too, especially if you need to avoid dairy....
SO, I feel quite spoiled now that I've discovered Katie, because she has tons of lovely, non-healthy-tasting recipes that are really not so bad for you, including cakes, shakes, dips and other snackies that I used to think I had to avoid to be healthy.
Without further ado, go here as fast as you possibly can to find Katie's very, very yummy frapp-uh recipe.  It makes 2 drinks with only 146 calorioes in each, is vegan and delish! Yay!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment