tagline

life is beautiful

Friday, July 1, 2011

Fish, Anyone? (2 of 10)

So........
I know I pledged and all, but week two was a D.I.S.A.S.T.E.R.  Remember how I said I don't like fishy fish? Well, I didn't have time to go to my tried-and-true fish place where I buy sole that's wild caught in the USA in week 2.  Thinking that it wouldn't matter that much, I grabbed some pre-packed fish that was farmed in the U.S. from our tiny local grocery store (a friend aptly calls it "Shifty Foods").  I took it home and whipped up these delightful-looking Fish Tacos with Cucumber Relish,

Photo from Real Simple Magazine

and let me just tell you, it was BAD.
It was really terrible.
My husband and son choked them down, but they were so FISHY that I couldn't do it.  The whole experience was so bad that I couldn't even bring myself to THINK about buying fish for several weeks! Ugh!!!!!!
But after I worked up my courage again (AND bought some decent fresh fish!!!!) I tried the recipe again, and the results were much different. Much happier.
So without further ado, my evaluation is:  These were really good.  They were the first fish tacos I've tried to make, and since this is a new genre of food to me, I felt very adventurous. :)  The cucumer relish was delectable - I used baby cukes from Costco and they were scrumptious in all sorts of other recipes too - and so easy.  I see it reappearing in our future quite often.  This was so easy - you've got to get some good fish and try it!
Husbandly evaluation:  "They were yummy." (He's busy right now, so I might add to his commentary later. ;)
Let me know if you try these!

No comments:

Post a Comment